Stain Opacity 101
When it comes to the impact stain will have on your deck’s design, understanding opacity is key.
Opacity is the degree to which you can see the natural grain of wood, achieved by using one of the following…
- Clear stain has no colour added and shows the natural beauty of the wood.
- Translucent stain doesn’t obscure grain and texture of wood and includes just the slightest tone.
- Semi Transparent stain allows most of the grain and texture to show through, with slightly more prominent colour.
- Semi Solid stain, with its deeper shades, covers most imperfections while allowing some of the grain and texture of the wood to show through.
- Solid stain offers the greatest colour depth of all, covering the majority of imperfections while allowing the texture of the wood to peek through lightly.